Wednesday, July 07, 2010

21 for 21 Challenge

30 for 30 Banner

So I know I missed my Sunday Inspiration post, but that doesn't mean I can't give you a weekly dose of inspiration! The 30 for 30 Challenge was started by Kendi of Kendi Everyday--30 items for 30 days of no shopping. She did it last year in April and she's doing it again for the month of July. I heard about this from Emily, The Daily Fashionista, and my competitive nature was sparked. I read through each of Kendi's 30 posts and was so inspired.

I've expressed my concerns on this topic before, but setting a monthly budget for myself has stopped working. I seem to have something new to show you all week after week. It's getting ridiculous, and things really need to change. I need to start cherishing each and every thing I buy, because each hour that I work is hard and full of effort. I shouldn't just throw it on a shirt that I'll wear once for a blog post. I got a job to teach me the value of money, but rather I just use it as a justification to fuel my shopping (ie. I can make this money all back in a couple of hours). I need to reteach myself how to remix.

Realistically though, I don't think I can go 30 for 30, so I'm going 21 for 21. I think the hardest part for me will be not being able to shop for three weeks, but it is for the best. Robert and I need to find new things to do together, and I need to save money. I need you all to keep me accountable too. The only exception in those 3 weeks will be a Dynamic Duo post if we have one since I want to keep it going, and we're a bit behind due to our crazy schedules.

I'm beginning the challenge a week from now, on Wednesday, July 14th, 2010. Why not now? Because I'm getting paid on Friday and I need one last hoorah before I condemn myself to shaking withdrawals. And I'm expecting a few things in the mail...hehe. Robert's letting me shop once and I can only buy up to three new items. I also need a week to pool all my items together. I don't think I'll be including accessories because my bows alone will be half of the allotted items. I'm counting shoes though.

Who's with me? You could even do just 7 for 7!

Until next post,
Jasmine

PS. I find it kinda fitting that this is my 100th post. Here's to the next 100, which will hopefully be better and filled with remixes.

PPS. I have a giveaway in the works, so look out for that in the next couple of days!

13 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try this, and maybe in a reasonable number like yours. :D I, too, have things I buy just for a blog post.. but then I usually wear them outside of that, but they're not great for mixing with other outfits, you know? D: So I should do this, or at least try to buy things that I know could at least go with a certain number of items in my closet!

    I think you can do it and I can't wait to see what you do. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm doing the 30 for 30 and the no shopping part is definitely going to be the biggest challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an inspirational post Jasmine! I remember reading through Kendi's 30 for 30 posts, and it's so amazing that you're challenging yourself as well! I look forward to your 21 for 21 challenge, and it's sort of inspiring me to try it too! I think I'd probably have to stick with 7 for 7 first! I probably shouldn't have sent you that email though, especially after reading this post!

    Happy 100 posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! This is something I just have to do. Shopping is killing me whether or not I realize it yet and I've gotta stop. :P
    I don't think I can go 30 for 30 though (especially since i post every other day...that'd be 60 days...two months of remixing!). Oh dear. Do you have to post everyday for the 30 for 30 challenge?

    I can't wait to see all your remixing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, I love your note on the one last hoorah before starting. I can't wait to see what you come up with. :)

    www.mandydiec.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're up to the challenge:) Good luck. Piecing together all 30 pieces was the hardest part for me. I wanted to make sure I covered all my bases.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I support your attempt at the Remix Lite. You are brave. Very brave!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great challenge, I wish you the best of luck and I will be here to support you, haha. I want to do the challenge except I'm trying to move house at the moment. I reckon once I've moved and I'm all settled in, I will try my own challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very inspiring and I'm totally going to do this! I might be able to survive 30 days without shopping, but I'm just going to be more realistic here and do 14 or 21 days like you :)

    This challenge raises an awareness in the blogosphere that as a blogger, you don't have to keep buying new clothes, shoes, or bags to be considered as a "fashion blogger". I find that bloggers who remix their stuff are more interesting than the ones who like to show off their new purchases. Sure, I'm not gonna lie that there's that sense of jealousy in me that wants to buy all the coveted items in the blogosphere. But do I have the money? NO. Does that make me less of a blogger? NO. Anyway, my point is that this challenge is a great test for everybody's creativity in terms of fashion (what you can do with the pieces you already have). I'm sooo IN :D

    Sorry for the long comment :(

    www.monochromachic.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea. I'm definitely going to try this once I finish work for the summer and won't have to worry about factoring office wear into the number. Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. congrats on taking up the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! Good luck! I want to try this too but I'm too weak! I probably won't be able to do the no shopping part. Hehehe! Looking forward to your post! :)

    ♥ Teresa ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! Can't wait to see the remixing!

    Kendi

    ReplyDelete