Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Big City Dreams

Hello!
Firstly, I am so pleasantly surprised by the responses to my last post! Thank you all for your really thought-out comments! Some of you even brought up things I hadn't thought about before! I can't wait until I sift through all my unworn clothes over break. Who knows how many forgotten treasures are in there? I definitely will be doing more of those discussion-kind of posts... :) Also, I'm on the hunt for another accessory for Dynamic Duo Part 2!

Photobucket
(wearing: dress--courtesy of ModCloth; chambray skirt and saddle oxfords--urban outfitters; patterned tights--target; pink bow--h&m)
Photobucket

Secondly, thank you to ModCloth for sending me this dress. As if winning a whole trip to New York wasn't enough, ModCloth gave all the Chictopia 10 winners a dress! I've actually been lusting over items on their website for a while now, but I'm a bit hesitant to buy clothes online so this was the ideal test of quality and fit. Does this print look familiar? Well that's because the very sweet and stylish Mel from Idee Geniale just did a post with it too! After seeing how cutely she layered it over a white button-down, I was even more anxious to get my hands on it!

Photobucket

I've been searching for florals ever since summer, but of course there was a drought through Fall and Winter. The colors of this dress looked lighter and more vibrant on the website and even in Mel's photos, but I still love this dress nonetheless and am seriously considering wearing it to the wedding gig I have this Saturday. It has pockets (a plus in my book) and is the perfect length (It's longer than the skirt. I just tucked it in the waistband)! It's made of a really light and airy material so it'll be perfect for those warm Spring/Summer days! Now that I know ModCloth has great quality clothes, I'm running out of excuses to not buy a few things...especially all their cute nautical things!

When I did my first post of me wearing a dress, a lot of you said I should wear dresses more often. But after getting this dress and not wearing it as a dress, I realized I don't really like dresses because they're just so...one-note. I mean sure they're an easy fix to any lazy-day or fashion-rut, but that's all you have--one dress. No worries though I'll probably wear this dress a couple times during Spring/Summer so you will see more of it (literally!).








Today, I went shooting with two friends around my campus. I always wanted some friends to go shooting with, but I've realized that I can't just shoot with anyone. It's a lot like going shopping--some friends, I just can't shop with because their shopping methods are way too different from mine: some take a really long time in the dressing rooms and some don't give me enough time to browse the shops. Likewise, my shooting methods may be a little different from others. I mean today I was literally laying on the floor to get that last shot, but I love it. I also like to take multiple shots of the same thing and so I may take a little longer in areas especially if I see that there is a lot to shoot (like today I seemed to be enamored with flowers). I like the little details more than the bigger picture. I think this is why I really like to take photos on my own, but it's always nice to have company and another set of eyes to find opportunities.




(Trying my hand at street style photography! I really liked this guy's bag...!)

I wasn't really too nervous about the wedding gig until today, probably because I've been too busy with school to take the time to think about it. But now that it's approaching and I have to prepare everything, the nerves are settling in. I hope I get chances to shoot on Thursday and Friday because it's been a while since I shot anything other than myself (haha that sounds so narcissistic!). I'm also borrowing some lenses and a tripod from a friend, so I need to acquaint myself with those too. It also might rain on Saturday too...Let's hope California's infamous sun comes out that day!



On a lighter note, I designed my first business card today! I love it! I would post it, but it has personal information on it. I'm only printing out 50 for now until Robert gets my website up and running. He's an HTML wiz! I actually used to be too, and still sort of am, but he programs for fun (So why is he a Bio major? I have no idea....). It's so surreal that this is all happening. I remember a few months ago shooting a wedding was just a dream. 2010 is definitely a good year so far! In a way, I'm starting my own little business!

Until next post,
Jasmine

30 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for your next little gig :) You take such lovely photos that whenever (if I ever) get married you'll definitely be a photographer! I love how you are able to encapture all the details. I have to go out and take photos myself too... It's like my little hub that I have! I LOVE THAT FLORAL PRINT OF THE DRESS. I love how you layered it <3 Definitely made it your own! YOU NEED TO WEAR MORE DRESSES M'DEAR >:D <33 xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello there! new visitor! i'm totally in love with your blog! you have such an awesome sense of style. you work everything you wear so well. i love it!

    congrats on getting your business up and running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. seeing that first picture of you in the floral dress-turned-top made me smile (is that weird? creepy? haha). you look so adorable in it and so ready for spring. i can't wait to see how you style it as an actual dress. :) and i can't wait to see what your photography website looks like! (i'm actually in the process of making one myself but my procrastination has been killing me for the past few weeks). i'm really loving those flower shots. good luck with your gig!!! one day i'll definitely be hiring you to take some photos :D

    ohohoh! and i'll be on the look out for our next dynamic duo item as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your photos! I'm taking an intro to photography class right now and I'm just loving it. That dress is cute. Being that all of the Chictopia10 winners are receiving the same dress creates another delightfuldozen/dynamicduo type of piece that you ten girls can showcase in your own ways. Can't wait for your site! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'd love to see the business card! Maybe you could white-out the personal parts or maybe make a faux one? Is it that hot that you're able to wear sleeveless?! So jealous! I love the floral top/dress, I would like to see you in dresses more often! I know what you mean, dresses are pretty simple sometimes but they can be creative with a nice accessory (okay, same with a skirt and blouse). There are simply some days when you just want to reach for something simple yet lovely and a dress usually fits that! Haha you and Mel look lovely in the dress, each with your own unique take! I love ModCloth, but I too am a little leery about buying online. Not to mention their prices are a little high :( HAHA I'm sorry but I had to look twice when you said you went shooting around campus, thinking of actual shooting. Oh dear silly me. My favorites are those flower ones, they're so beautiful! Don't worry, if you take pictures at the wedding like you do for your blog, you'll be amazing! They'll want to have another wedding just so they can have you photograph twice! Haha that'd be awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoops sorry I keep writing so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sprawl out on the ground, too, when photographing. I end up taking a dozen of the same shot and hundreds in one day and only save about a third of them.
    It's great that you're creating a website and have business cards for your wedding photography. Maybe once school is over you can work for a photographer as an assistant. It would really help you get your foot in the door and past the freelance thing.

    Good luck to you, Jasmine! Follow your dream and hopefully you can make a career out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you know i always love your photos!! :D awesome!

    and can i just say!! that outfit is phenomenal!! i love this really girly look going on with you!! i always love it when you wear feminine pieces!! really suits your bubbly personality and lovely smile! :D

    im happy things are looking up for you for this year! *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I quite like the smocked texture of the dress with the color of your skirt! Wonderful detailing. That's so cool that you guys got free dresses from Modcloth! Lucky girl.

    I'm looking forward to seeing more photos of yours; I always like to see what other bloggers take pictures of. The street style one you took reminds me that I should venture downtown in my area to take photos of people and well, more interesting things than suburbia.

    Good luck with the wedding gig this weekend!! I'm sure you'll do awesome, Jasmine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE how you styled that dress Jas! So pretty. (: and, me too, dresses with pockets are my favorite! Great pictures as usual dear. (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. fantastic pictures!! and that dress is just darling, you look adorable with the little hair bow :)

    heyfancypants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness. The Florals are adorable! I adore it.

    Thank you so much for commenting on my blog. It's an honor!


    http://darlingdeedee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such lovely photos! That little pink bow just makes the outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love that print, I loved seeing Idee Geniale's version of it too. I love the bokeh photo down the bottom also.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how you fashioned your dress to look like the blouse! I'm sure you'll do great at the wedding shot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your new little business! I hope the sun comes out on Saturday, but either way, I'm sure you'll do an amazing job.

    I love these photos so much. The one of the flower laying on the ground is incredible. Is photography your major?

    ReplyDelete
  17. i'm glad to see your photography business up and running, business card is definitely one of the 1st steps ;) lucky you to have a bf that's HTML wiz! and love how you turned that dress into a top, you made it your own!:D

    ps: LOVE LOVE LOVE the close up shot of that pink flower on the ground <3

    www.monochromachic.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh wow! it's nice to know that wonderful people are receiving good things - your website and wedding business seem like they're finally getting off the ground which is fantastic news!

    i really like the fact that you like to layer dresses as opposed to letting them stand alone. you add fun and cute dimensions :)

    xo.
    princesspolitico.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awww, I absolutely love that dress on you! You'll do just fine at your wedding gig! You are amazing at what you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the way you layered the dress under the skirt! And your photos are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  21. love how you fashioned your dress to look like the blouse! I'm sure you'll do great at the wedding shot!
    video models

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh! so what you were wearing was a dress! i love that you wore it as a top! it made it more interesting. that denim is so cute i want to steal it from you! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow! another amazing post! just love your blog, such an inspiration! definitely bookmarking you! hope you can stop by my blog sometime :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really want the HoursDress, but I don't know what size to get. My hips are pretty wide and it looks really narrow :( Not sure what to do. Totally love how you have re-mixed it though!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love how you styled this dress! So cute. Also, I don't think dresses are for when you're in a fashion rut... they're kind of my fashion raison d'etre. : ) Also, I'm really glad you discovered something you wanted to achieve and are moving towards it. Brave girl! Go Jasmine!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey gorgeous! Hope ur well amd I luv how u styled ur outfit! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely photos and pretty dress! Your blog is very delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love that floral print, so cute and spring-y! And I've said this before but I'll say it again: I'm totally jealous of the people who get to have you as a wedding photographer!! I'm sure you'll do a great job and have a lot of fun with it.

    ReplyDelete